Plaza de San Juan de Dios: in the distance he resurrects El Mayor (+ Photos)Publicado: julio 17, 2020
By Lázaro David Najarro Pujol (+ Photos)
July, 2020.- The Plaza de San Juan de Dios, with its former hospital and the church, located in the oldest segment of the city of Camagüey, constitutes the most important colonial architectural complex in the provincial capital. Erected in the 17th century, it stands out for its extraordinary historical importance, according to Agramontin researchers.
Declared a National Monument (1980), it is also the best preserved environment in the city, the scene of important cultural, political and religious events and a representative site of the traditional houses of the old town, among which the La Campana Restaurant-Bar is distinguished. Toledo.
On May 12, 1873, in the old Convent-Hospital of San Juan de Dios, completed in 1728, the body of Major General Ignacio Agramonte y Loynaz (1841-1873) was exposed by the Spanish military authorities.
The church is a characteristic example that replaces the wooden or masonry hermitage erected on that site with its beautiful tile roof. In that building is the only preserved representation in Cuba of the Holy Trinity, in the form of three human figures.
Among the recent momentous events, the beatification ceremony for Friar José Olallo Valdés, carried out on November 29, 2008, is the first in Cuba and was attended by Raúl Castro Ruz.
Also on May 11, 1973, the champion was paid tribute in the Plaza and the song to El Mayor, by the troubadour Silvio Rodríguez, was intoned for the first time, where excited spectators listened to the melody. In one of his stanzas he sentences: The Elder rides with his wound, / and the more deadly the cut, the more it lives. (Author’s photos)(Translated by Linet Acuña Quilez)